Monday, November 19, 2012

Musings on Spiritual Gifts (Can I Please Have Them All?)

So I have always been curious about the different spiritual gifts mentioned in Scripture. It is fascinating how each Christian has these different God-given gifts that allow the Church to function as one giant, complex, unified body. I've actually been pondering a lot lately about what my spiritual gifts are and how I will be used by the Lord.

Just last night I went to a church meeting where we took a short spiritual gifts test, and I scored high in a few categories and pretty low in some others. Of course, this was just a short and informal test. I do not rely on it to inform me of what gifts the Lord has blessed me with, and I do not think it is the final word in the spiritual gifts department.

But what cracks me up is how I want ALL the spiritual gifts. There are gifts that I know I do not possess. I am pretty sure I do not have the gift of hospitality. I have neither spoken in tongues nor interpreted any tongues. If I've performed a miracle through the power of God, I am unaware of it. And I've never prophesied. And according to 1 Corinthians 14:1, I should really want that gift, like, a lot. 

I hope I don't look like this in real life.

I understand that if we all had the same gifts then the Church could not function as God intended. Each Christian would just do the exact same thing as every other Christian. There would only be one committee in every Baptist church. How could life go on without a Committee of Committees, a Toilet Paper Committee, or a No Skirts Shorter Than 3 Inches Above the Knee Committee? But really, so many jobs that the Lord calls His children to do would never get done or would be done poorly. So it is good that there are many gifts and that we are blessed with different ones.

I still want them all, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment