Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Of course this is about the weather

I've realized that I am completely helpless when it is cold. It's painful. I don't know what to do. I don't have an ice scraper for my car. I don't remember to leave faucets dripping when it gets below freezing. I don't remember to go start my car ahead of time to let it warm up before leaving in the mornings. I'm mostly sure that I'm not a polar bear.

This has to be a product of being reared in Alabama. I just don't see how people do it up yonder in the Northern states. When the high temperature of the day is below freezing, I can barely face the outside. When I was driving earlier today, with the heat in my car cranked all the way up, I started to think about arctic explorers. How do they handle it? Especially back in ye olden days. I feel like if they even took a hand out of its glove for a second, it would immediately freeze solid and fall off and break into a million pieces. The reason I think this is because I'm pretty sure it almost happened to me, in Alabama, during the recent reign of ice.

And the worst part of it is that there is not any snow to be found. Oh sure, maybe that's why some people up yonder in the Northern states like the cold: because it often yields snow. But the only things we got with the cold was more cold, along with a side of a cold, and then a final serving of cold. You didn't look out your window to see a winter wonderland. You just saw dead grass, and trees without leaves, and probably a bird frozen in the birdbath. You know, the typical winter loveliness.

It's a Christmas room with a traditional Alabama Christmas view.

It has been so cold recently that when the high reached 46 degrees today, I almost put on my bathing suit and ran to the pool. It felt like summertime when compared to the high the day before. And that just makes me miss the real summertime. I'm ready for the warmer weather. For the butterflies and flowers. For the sun to still be up at 5:00 in the afternoon. For the lake and the beach. For sipping sweet iced tea on the patio. For watching fireworks on the Fourth of July down by the river. And sure enough, warmer weather will creep (or not creep, likely) back and cover this place. 

Although, in defense of this cold weather, I haven't been bitten by a mosquito lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment